View Single Post

Old 12-02-2019, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,515 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
The law needs to be reworked to require actual proof that a dog is a trained service dog (not emotional support animal). There are too many ways to get around the law right now, because there is no one "certification" process nationally imposed. I believe the groups who train service dogs to help the disabled ought to have to obtain certificates of proof that could not be duplicated easily. These certificates could then be required to be shown when service dogs are entering establishments or traveling by plane or train. It would not break the ADA law, because the dog owner would not be required to state his disability. But that needs to be written into the current law.

The other thing that is needed is more education for the business owners on what constitutes a service dog, what doesn't, and what their responsibilities are under the law. I know some business owners around TV, including a certain large part of TV, who are just plain afraid to confront an owner, and so they go overboard the other way in allowing dogs that they don't have to.

Some airlines have banned emotional support animals from flying. Others are requiring proof of training. They are obviously knowledgeable about the law.
State law can't be changed to require proof of certification, because the federal law expressly forbids it.

This is from the ADA's website. ADA 2010 Revised Requirements: Service Animals Bold/underlined mine, for emphasis:

Quote:
When it is not obvious what service an animal provides, only limited inquiries are allowed. Staff may ask two questions: (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability, and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform. Staff cannot ask about the person’s disability, require medical documentation, require a special identification card or training documentation for the dog, or ask that the dog demonstrate its ability to perform the work or task.