View Single Post

Old 12-03-2019, 02:08 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
Since Gary ? How about when Harold left us. Just today we were reminded of Budweiser Clydesdales and real snow making machines at the Christmas Tree lightings when Harold was alive. They were in front of Katie Bells - remember that exclusive for members only club we considered our flagship. Free golf and Katie Bell's was the sales pitch. The early lifestyle visits included Katie Bell's dollars. People on here think we are so negative but they forget most are new here and have not experienced the changes. In 2003 when Harold passed population was around 30000. Today TV is approaching 140000. Like the old story goes I didn't know we were poor growing up until the government told me. Thus many of you are comparing the past to your hometowns, not here because you were not here. Harold was about the people. Sure he was a businessman and was in it to make money. However he loved the people, He did not live as an isolationist. Harold donated 1 million dollars of his own money to the then Villages corporation to build Spanish Springs Town Square because the corporation did not have the funds to do it as he saw what it deserved to be.

We are on the third generation of a family business. There's an old adage about that . Now I still haven't found a better place but seen many changes and each change seems to be more business oriented. Slogan was live like a millionaire on a retirement budget. I see signs of the class system raising it's ugly head. That won't be good for a "Friendly Hometown".

I have my own barometer of when to bail (I hope never). Watch the flower beds. When they stop changing them 3X per year it will be time to take the profits and run.

Again please don't tell me you are free to leave. I am fully aware of that and will when my barometer pegs. However I try to point out to newbies there is a history here and you should make a little effort to understand this new place you now call home.
The they in this case is us.....aren't the flowers part of or maintenance charge? Not that greedy Developer.