View Single Post

Old 12-03-2019, 02:56 PM

Nothing but a little story about a $20 ring.

This was my Dad’s ring. My parents were married in 1951. This ring was a Christmas gift to my Dad from my Mom soon after they were married.

In the spring of 1952, my mom secretly went to a jewelry store and put this ring on a Christmas lay away plan. This ring cost about $20 originally. My mother had to pay the jewelry store $2 every month throughout the year to have the ring paid off before Christmas.

I was born in 1959 and throughout my life I can remember my Dad wearing his ring whenever an important occasion occurred.

My Dad passed away in 1992 from cancer. My Mom gave me the ring. Throughout my life I have upheld his tradition of wearing it to significant family events. I have worn it as my 2 daughters got married. It was with me for countless holiday family get togethers, numerous high school and college graduations, grandchildren's births, anniversary dinners and also at various random occasions that I just felt had some merit of one kind or another.

This ring is absolutely priceless to me.

Well last night I got the ring out so that I could wear it today to my last throat cancer treatment. As the treatment ended, I thought about my Dad and how he was probably smiling right then about me and his $20 ring.

Thanks to everyone for their care, concern and words of support during my journey for the past 3 months. I certainly appreciate it. The ring will come out 12 weeks from now when I go to get scanned to verify that I’m cancer free.

-Spoiler
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	0B313021-B28B-4BC9-BD4B-51F24B5F20D2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	82091  

Last edited by Spoiler; 12-03-2019 at 10:27 PM.