View Single Post

Old 12-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
Thanks, I do try not to make "loony comments", there are more than enough people out there doing that to entertain all of us for may years to come. My comments are, as in the case of the OP, based on observations, logic, and careful reasoning and not meant to be bashing (unjustly) the developer or anyone else.

In the case of 466A Publix and Magnolia Plaza I don't believe my comment to be loony in any way. Regardless of signage my comment was based on the observed actual construction work, MP work was started about 6 months ago and they've been moving dirt for an uncharacteristically long time whereas the Publix on 466A the digging started only about 2 months ago and walls are already going up. Both locations started from the same point of Stage 1 initial clearing and preparations being completed.

I'm aware of the Turnpike bridge and FTE's (FTE is the Florida Turnpike Enterprise, they have control over the turnpike operations and not FDOT) policy about lane closures. I worked on the Turnpike and with the FTE for nearly 7 years doing the toll system replacement and security upgrades in every toll plaza from CR470 to Homestead, I know the roads, facilities, and people on the Turnpike very well. I was the one who made the post about the high season lane closures a few weeks ago that you are referencing.

With my drone I get a unique view of what is going on, much of which I haven't previously shared with the public by request of TV management. What appears to be the case, as I previously stated, is that there are at least 6 distinct areas being worked over a much larger geographical area than has previously been undertaken. This appears to be pushing the limits of the local construction resources and they are unable to keep the robust pace we have previously seen. The area between SR44 and the Turnpike, in my opinion, does not appear to be progressing as quickly as anticipated. Without this area being completed to the point of being able to at least sell lots and spec homes connectivity is not going to be a reality due to the construction hazards. This has also reflected in the access control of the north end of Marsh Bend Trail, it has only recently been allowed up to the DeLuna area that just went up for sale. It is still not allowed up to the Water Lilly rec center and bridge area. The area on the north side of Turnpike has a lot more to go.

I agree with you that the taxes and road construction on 468 are fully the county's responsibility/fault and not the developer, I've never put that on the developer because it simply isn't their issue. When the county approves any new development, they are responsible for upgrading their infrastructure to support what they've approved, that's the purpose of the impact fees, to cover these costs. Sumter County has failed to adequately manage these responsibilities and has dumped the cost of their incompetence on the tax payers. There was no secret any of this growth was coming, they approved all of this growth and they are required to do a 5 year financial projection every year to prevent the huge tax increases we've just experienced. They failed to act responsibly and wanted to continue their string of "no tax increase" propaganda, it's now bit them in the butt.

My OP was to point out the new schedule slippages that have been occurring recently on this critical piece of future infrastructure and lack of open communications of the changing expectations for it.

Wildwood Springs (Fenney & DeSoto) sat dormant for early a decade with zero progress until The Villages stepped in, only then did the first shovelful of dirt get moved. The same has held true for Cresswood, Landstone Communities, West Lakes, Southern Oaks, Renaissance Trails, and Secret Promise developments. All have been sitting dormant since before the bust of 2008 but are now being brought back to life as a part of The Villages developments.
I should have read this post first. I am so glad that your wisdom is here for us and I so appreciate your insight.