View Single Post

Old 12-05-2019, 09:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,512 Times in 3,105 Posts

1. If you receive an alert from a credit card company that you have an account with (some people have notifications set up JUST for the purpose), then do not hit the "reply" button. Instead, get out of that messaging system, and call your bank directly to verify that the alert was legit.

2. The Villages REALLY needs to catch up with technology if you sincerely want to protect each other from credit card fraud. Almost every store I shop in doesn't use google pay or apple pay, and most also don't accept Samsung pay either. If you want to pay by credit card you MUST either chip or swipe your card. That means anyone who was there before you, can rig the machine to duplicate your credit card information if they intended to commit a criminal act.

Virtual pay (google pay, apple pay, samsung pay, etc) is much more secure, and you never have to pull your actual card out of your wallet. Even better, anyone standing over your shoulder will see a "virtual card number" that you can use for verification purposes, but it is not your actual credit card number. So they can't get your credit card number that way either.

It's annoying that I have this feature on my 4-year-old phone, and that all these virtual pay apps have been around since 2013, and the Villages merchants and even some of the supermarkets can't accommodate them yet.