View Single Post

Old 12-05-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I agree, except for paypal. If you use paypal, you give up your Federal protection rights to dispute a credit card charge. Paypal is a middleman between the merchant and you. So, once you pay money to paypal, even with a credit card, you cannot dispute the charge based on non-performance by the merchant. I never use paypal for that reason.
Wow...…..I didn't realize that. Now I know why I had a problem with an auto-renew from Norton through Paypal that I didn't authorize. AmEx put a hold on it but it was released the next day for payment. Now I understand why. Luckily I called Norton and after a long "discussion" with an offshore CS person I did get the charge reversed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyskirt View Post
Our waiter took a very long time cashing out the bill. The next morning I got a credit card fraud alert, someone tried using the card online. thankfully the charges were declined by the card company.
Had this happen at an Outback once in NC. Woman took way too long to return with our card. For some reason I had decided to use a card we rarely use, so I knew where it happened. Around Christmas time about 10 years ago and all of a sudden I started getting charges from stores at the Mall of America in MN. I agree about having the card reader at the table. I'm so glad to see them at Olive Garden and Applebee's, at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
A week later I filed a claim with Discover card and about a month later I was credited $33 by Discover. So Paypal is not the end-all that some might think.
Good to know. But it is a royal pain to have to deal with TWO companies. I also have all three of my CCs set up to send me texts when something is charged so knew about the Norton charge right away. I called AmEx ASAP but didn't go through Paypal. Not sure I will use them as often as I have in the past unless it is a store that I have never used before that I don't want them to have my info. But at least I know about their policies. Unfortunately Paypal is rather notorious about denying claims. All they want is their money. Just ask any ebay seller who has had a fraudulent claim from a seller who is pulling a scam.

One bad thing we have found about the texts for a charge is that hubby can't buy me any presents without me finding out! So now he has to use our daughter, who he calls his "shopper elf". She buys what he wants and then we pay her back.