View Single Post

Old 12-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldwingnut View Post
One is a cost of doing business the other is poor government planning. The developer didn't do it, the county government did it. I'm not taking sides with the developer, I'm pointing out the fault where it belongs. Do you honestly think another $1000 added to the price of a house would have deterred any sales over the last decade?

Yes, we all got screwed because some in county government wanted to put a feather in their own hats and say "look at us, no tax increase for 14 years", now we all see that there were short sighted fool that didn't bother to look at their 5 year forecasts that are required every year. Repaving of roads just snuck up on them and the development they approved had cost to the county they chose to ignore until it was too late.
I think we can agree that the county commissioners were ultimately to blame for the tax increase, but it is not all related to failing to look at 5 year plans. Public officials around the country routinely require businesses to pay for infrastructure improvements as a condition for granting approval for a development. Any county government worth a salt would never have granted the developer the rights to develop the area south of 44 without first getting an agreement from the developer to fund the infrastructure improvements that were required. That would have ultimately placed the cost of these improvements on those who benefit from them - those who are buying in the new areas.