View Single Post

Old 12-08-2019, 06:03 AM
Default Medical Power of Attorney

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
First and foremost, I AM NOT SUICIDAL!!!

Now, that established, I’m in my 70’s and I do not know of any local facilities or Doctors that will assist me in a painless death should I become terminally ill. After this wonderful life I have lived already, I desperately want to have a way out of my choosing, without having hospitals, etc. sucking my bank account dry while I suffer. When it’s over, call me a coward if that makes you feel better, but I want out quick without pain and loss of my life’s savings. I want my loving wife and children to have my estate.
Question, any information would be greatly appreciated.
I also am in my 70's and I feel EXACTLY as you do. A close family member should have your medical power of attorney. If you are near death and unable to make a decision to proceed for further medical treatment, that is when a medical power of attorney is most useful. Without it, the hospital will continue treatment with any and all life saving measures. This is their duty, and it is the law. I just went through all of this with my wife who recently passed and I am so very glad I was able to help her in the final stage of her life, because she was suffering terribly. If I wasn't her medical power of attorney I would not have been able to help her. Also, hospice dose nothing to cause death, that would be against the law. A Hospice house simply provides comfort for those who are near death. Just be certain that whoever has your medical power of attorney is trustworthy and understands your final wishes.