View Single Post

Old 12-09-2019, 11:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,717 Times in 5,245 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdjed View Post
Very definitely opened pressure relief valve, which is what allowed the tank to start evacuating water. That was recommended because of a closed system as you suggest. My pressure relief valve was replaced several years ago after it successfully responded to a failed expansion tank. My pressure relief valve is not on top but on side about one foot from top. And I doubt if simply opening it, would verify that it would verify that it can functionally protect from excessive temp or pressure.

Also, valve clogging would seem to be more likely lower in the tank where the sediments accumulate as they were in my tank.

I should note that I really was only trying to express my experience in draining the tank, and not trying to express that I know anything else. That was the whole purpose of my initial opening of this chat.
It sounds like you have everything covered. But, personnally, I wouldn't feel comfortable maintaining a water heater for much longer than 13 years. I believe that most people never do any maintenance on their water heater and they replace it when it either fails or leaks. That is usually after about 10 -15 years. Fortunately, in The Villages, most water heaters are located in the garage, where they don't do much damage when they leak. But, they really are not very expensive to replace. Good luck.