View Single Post

Old 12-10-2019, 01:15 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,620 Times in 1,764 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by l2ridehd View Post
I have never met anyone who on their death bed said "I wished I had worked longer"

I worked to long. I started when I was 12 and always had a job until I retired at 66. Part time through high school and college and full time except for military until I retired. I could have retired sooner and should have. I retired for a short time when I was 51 as I had 30 years with IBM and they were changing the retiree medical plan the next year and they had a buy out package so I took it. But very soon got bored and went back to work.

So my answer would always be retire as soon as you can financially. And you do not need as much money as you think you need. That was my biggest concern and it has been a non issue. And I know I could be just as happy spending a lot less than we do if we needed to. Live in a smaller home, a lower cost community, and do more things that cost less. Happiness isn't about what you have, it's about doing those things that make you happy. And I can find many free things that I enjoy and make me happy. I probably would have sailed less, fly less, golf less, eat out less, but I would have climbed more mountains, hiked more trails, cooked more, given more time vs money, and I would have enjoyed life just as much.

So again retire as soon as possible.
After I retired at 35 I did soon get bored. One day I was playing golf at the local CC with three 75 year olds and ran into a lady I had dated in high school. She asked me what I was doing and I told her I was retired. She laughed and told me I was too young to retire. Actually, my biggest problem was finding other guys near my age in similar circumstances. After a year and a half I went back to work, retired again at 41 for three years and again went back to work. Then at 52 I hung it up for good and have never once regretted finally retiring over the 25 years since I did so. I love it!

The biggest problem for me was my huge health insurance premiums for so many years but I never went uninsured. I would encourage others to make sure they can obtain and afford health insurance!

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine

Last edited by manaboutown; 12-10-2019 at 01:24 PM.