View Single Post

Old 12-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,095 Times in 374 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post
Oh it is easy, it is even easier to maintain a tank heater. Consider this thread, the vast majority of posters had no idea maintenance is required at all. Most who offered advice had it wrong. To make matters worse some of these guys are engineers and should have known better..
The personal observation of what is inside the tank that comes out when drained is enough to make a believer. It is not only tank maintenance, it is water maintenance. The tank is designed to extract hot water from the top and it is natural for the sediment to settle to the bottom. However, mixing of the layers is occurring.

I actually had difficulty in draining my tank (First time in 12 years) due to the thickness of the sediment clogging the small gate valve. Actually had to open water inlet valve and close inside faucet to pressurize tank to expel the sediment to get the process to start draining. That issue and cautions of drain valve leaks persuaded me to change drain valve to a 3/4 inch ball valve . That will make future draining a snap.