View Single Post

Old 12-11-2019, 05:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
I play championship courses every Friday and Palmer a couple of times a month. When I play Riley Grove at Arnold Palmer directly across Lake Sumter I always have a teetime after 1pm. When I come through holes 7, 8 and 9 usually about 4pm, way before the square music starts. I can hear the band playing at Cody's. I've been to Cody many times to listen to "Take Two", they're just a guy and girl with a keyboard and I sit 20' in front them with no problem.

Living across from LSL the sound travels across the water much easier. Plus when it's later sound travels greater at night. I can hear a train at night in Wildwood 5 miles from my house in Tamarind Grove and not hear any trains during the day. I can tell what song they're playing at Cody's while on Riley Grove and it has nothing to do with being too loud.

There is a scientific reason and it's because water cools the air above its surface, which then slows down the sound waves near the surface. This causes refraction or bending of the sound wave, such that more sound reaches across the lake. Sound waves skimming the surface of the water can add to the amplification effect, if the water is calm, which Lake Sumter usually is.
But John, they were inside the house. I heard the trains 🚂 where I live and yes on certain nights and wind direction it a lot louder. Another thing across the pond they are behind the speakers, but probably bounces off the buildings in front of the speakers. I really don’t have dog in the this cause I only have one ear that hears, so I stay clear of loud for me obnoxious noise the makes my pencil hanger ring.