View Single Post

Old 12-13-2019, 11:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,211 Times in 350 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
It wasn't for "simply making tweets online." She is, and has been famous all over the entire world (at least outside The Villages) for travelling the globe to spread her message to dignitaries and heads of state about climate change.

Living "in a bubble" is not just a catchy phrase to describe living in the Villages. Outside the Villages, it also means "refusing to acknowledge that reality is happening beyond your scope of vision." It sounds like that's why some Villagers are surprised that Greta is Person of the Year: because they see only what they want to see, and disregard the rest (credit to Simon & Garfunkel for The Boxer reference)
I don't exist in a bubble. I watch multiple news outlets (all mainstream national TV news outlets (NBC, ABC and CBS) in addition to cable and online). If you asked me who won TIME's person of the year. I can't tell you her name. I know of her... but that is it. I'm just telling you about my experience...
And please don't lecture me. Just understand I am telling you, based on the fact I watch mainstream news for a number of hours every day, it isn't something that was familiar to me.