View Single Post

Old 12-14-2019, 10:24 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,346 Times in 734 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangeloInspections View Post
Just my two cents.....(might not be worth that much....). I have inspected hundreds of outdoor kitchens and the countertops and backsplashes made out of tile ALL have cracks in the grout. The grout also stains very easily if not sealed, especially from grease.

One prominent company here in The Villages always installs the roof vent for outdoor kitchens with covers that are already rusting from being scratched up, etc, even when brand new. Make sure your roof cowling is painted nice without scratches that can rust within days after the installation.

Be leery of any cabinets made of wood, as they will warp outside. I'm sure you know this. Consider good lighting for when you are cooking. I do overnight cooks...(brisket, pulled pork, ribs, etc.) Good lighting is needed.

I also have a large Lanai, (about 800 sq ft under roof ) so I was tempted to put in an outdoor kitchen...but then I bought a wood pellet grill that is also a smoker, a searing station, etc. It can also be a pizza oven, flat top grill, etc,...so I am now glad I did not commit to a drop in gas grill only. It has low and high temp alerts, all wifi so my phone tells me it is done using a BBQ app.

Good luck on your project!!

Frank D.
Excellent points, Frank. I thought a sealed reinforced, colored concrete countertop might work.as well as other countertop. Instead of a conventional grill opt for a big Green egg on wheels. I had a pellet stove for a while and it wasn't for me. Great ideas!