View Single Post

Old 12-15-2019, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,587 Times in 5,184 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulat585 View Post
I was sent by my PCP for stat bloodwork on Friday. Went to 441 Urgent Care at Buffalo Ridge. The provider told me to go to their office on Old Camp Rd. today to pick up the results. When I got there, they wanted to charge me a 2nd $40 copay for the provider to "review the results with me." They would fax the results to my PCP for free. I chose the latter and walked out.
I'm confused. I read this post at least 5 times and I still don't know what happened. If you need blood work, the blood can be drawn at any lab and most doctor's offices, and the results are available online to both the patient and the doctor who wrote the order. The doctor or nurse should explain the results to the patient either by phone on in person. But, in my experience the patient is rarely charged for more then one office visit copay unless the doctor needs to see the patient more than once. And, why would any office tell a patient to come in to "pick up the results", when they can be faxed to the PCP in a minute? If your PCP felt the need for "stat" blood work, he/she should have been available to receive the results and explain them to you immediately at least with a phone call. It sounds like the PCP wanted to pass the OP off onto the urgent care office because it was a weekend. So, the urgent care office told the OP to come pick up the results, and then refused to provide them without seeing a doctor and paying. If so, I think they should have told you that on the phone before you went there. Also, the PCP should have told you how and when you would be receiving the results. I am continually disappointed by the way patients are treated with disrespect and a lack of communication by medical offices.