View Single Post

Old 12-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
How do you know it's fresh, and not "previously frozen"? Where does it come from?

I heard advice that you should always buy frozen shrimp instead of previously frozen because it will be fresher when you thaw it out yourself.
I have wondered myself WHERE the fresh seafood comes from in Florida. We have miles and miles of sandy beaches, but I have never seen a fleet of fishing boats in Florida in all of the whole life time we have visited here. I have seen them up North in Massachusetts and in Maryland, but never here. I have become very squeamish of Talapia.

The best fish I have purchased here is the frozen Cod at Walmart. WITHOUT the breading of course. I just tried the frozen unbreaded Cod at Publix, (and I love Publix) but we both thought it was fishy, not nearly as good as Walmart's frozen unbreaded Cod, on the top shelf in the freezer case. It is often sold out. It is cheap AND good.

I am not really used to eating a lot of fish that coastal people are familiar with but have enjoyed good Catfish which they no longer serve at the Lighthouse. AND if you have not had catfish it is very mild, not fishy, has a firm flesh much like cod and can be either baked or fried.

I don't like to buy stuff from people in parking lots with Styrofoam coolers. But that's just me. AND a lot of "fresh fish" I have purchased at Fresh Market and Publix have been disappointing and fishy.

Last edited by graciegirl; 12-15-2019 at 03:21 PM.