View Single Post

Old 12-16-2019, 03:04 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,244 Times in 707 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
And that is where intolerance steps in, cherry picking the truths that some wave as flags and ignoring the other truths that may not enhance their agenda. May we all have open minds and not just to facts that are snippets of the truth. Then you have tolerance.
Fact are facts.

When I ask for links...I am not being a wise guy....just saying....on what do you base what you are saying ?

It is impossible to discuss any subject with one party not dealing with facts.

But we are straying from the scope of this thread.....we cannot place nice for a number of reasons...

1. As admirably said by folks better with words than I......THAT is how the world is and has become. Anger, hate shown in physical and verbal ways DAILY, not sometimes but always.

2. My opinion, not anyone else I suppose.....is on some subjects, you need to deal with facts. I have learned over the years that you CAN verify facts. You also can be confronted with things that are simply not provable and you must use common sense and logic.

Today, it is easier in that video and archives of information is readibly available.

On local issues, like those I mentioned......and hate to go back in time, but used to be that threads on those issues would run their course quickly if all stayed on the topic. They are not complicated as it is expected that you will read opinion on here based on known facts. That kind of discussion should not cause problems.

Problem, in my opinion, is we label everyone as WE see them, not based on an opinion on the topic being discussed. I suppose that is LISTENING (reading in this case) that is not done much......either shut it down depending on the poster and his/her rep, or change the subject or topic.

When I worked in WashDC, I had many discussions with folks that knew I disagreed with on many subjects and many times found myself agreeing after discussion. Certainly not as often as those with whom I had a basic agreement but it did happen as a result of listening, respecting and acknowledging. I can recall a few instances of shaking hands and rushing back to my desk to validate what he/she said (well before internet) because i agreed with him or her. Once validated, respect on both sides just grew.

Simple but today not so much.