View Single Post

Old 12-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Villages Florida

See this mirrors on this cart, that's a head-on collision waiting to happen. When I got my new Yamaha from The Villages in 2011 the mirrors were mounted about that same height. I went around the curve at Odell and Buena Vista, it's like a 110 degree turn and in a split second I saw a cart coming straight at me. I didn't see it before, the mirrors were directly in my field of vision.

I took the cart the very next day the LSL Villages store and told them they were a danger and they lowered the mirrors right there, no charge. I been noticing over the years and I think they now have learned and put the top of the mirror no higher than the black bar that goes across the windshield.

When I had the mirrors lowered, I also had them install LED turn signal lights on each window post. I believe nowadays they're doing that already or incorporating a signal within the mirror. However, if it's not there, have some sort of signal up around eye level installed because you'll end up going down the road with your left turn signal on all day. You'll probably have already seen carts do that. The Yamaha indicator light is on the console and is hidden by your right knee.
I have mirrors like that on my Club Car; there's a bit of a mental adjustment necessary, but I've found that I'm able to handle them now after a few weeks of using the cart regularly. You have to watch a different part of the road in front of you, to see the curves coming up.

What is scary though, is going over the golf cart bridge to Spanish Springs. That thing is SO narrow that (again until I was used to it) I was pulling the left mirror completely inside as soon as I got to the bridge and pushed it back into position once I was over it.

Problem with that, was that moving those mirrors around regularly loosens the screw. The mirror kept pushing itself inward every time I went over a bump! If you tighten it too much it breaks.

My turn signals make a LOUD and very annoying beep-beep-beep until I turn them off again, so I don't have to worry about visual indicators at all.