View Single Post

Old 12-20-2019, 06:08 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjlee500 View Post
I want to pay my taxes even if they have gone up 30% or so. I got my tax bill for Nov. and realised I could not afford a lump sum payment. I am a senion on a fixed income. I called Randy Mask line and was told I should have filled out a payment form which I did not know about. I have since filled it out for 2020. I was also told I could submit a form to pay current taxes over 5 months - Nov. to March and did that. I sent in a check for as much as I could afford. I went online this week to make a payment and there was NO option to put in an amount, just full payment.

I called and explained my issue, was put on hold for a while and was told, yes, I would be charged FULL amount online.

Why are seniors like you and me being treated this way? Why can't we make partial payments online if we have an agreement? This is so wrong and Randy needs to fix this if he wants to keep his job. Giving the option to make an agreed upon partial payment hurts nobody but makes it easier for seniors to pay their taxes.
I certainly don't want to sound cruel or insensitive, but I am a realist. Like you, I am retired, and actually on less than a fixed income since I have no pension and no social security. However:

1) "I want to pay my taxes even if they have gone up 30% or so."

You don't really get the choice of whether or not you WANT to pay your taxes, otherwise no one would.

2) "Why are seniors like you and me being treated this way?"

We are not being treated any different than any other taxpayer

3) We both knew what our taxes were when we purchased our homes, I didn't for a moment think that they would do anything other than go up

4) We both knew that the tax bill, along with any bond, was an annual lump sum payment

5) "Why can't we make partial payments online"

Because Sumter County is a government taxing authority, NOT a finance company

6) Try this argument with the IRS and see how far you get

7) "This is so wrong and Randy needs to fix this if he wants to keep his job."

I don't view it as right or wrong, it's simply the way it is, like most places in the country. And I doubt Randy Mask's job is dependent on your personal satisfaction with county tax regulations.

That being said, I do hope you find a way to resolve your issue