View Single Post

Old 12-21-2019, 12:21 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
OK, taxes----I lived in central NY
There was no bond, but developers in NY rolled the cost of infrastructure into the home price, so that's a wash. There were no maintenance fees and garbage pick up was included in taxes, but...you had to separate your recyclables and each type was picked up once every 4 weeks, and trash collection was once a week Sales tax was 8%. There were no amenity fees, but then again, no amenities. The nearest "cultural centers" were in Rochester, 60 miles away.
For "all that", I paid over 18K in property taxes. Here, I pay $4600, and my home here is assessed at 200K MORE than my home in NY. Oh, and I forgot, $90 each time it snowed more than 3 inches to plow the driveway---and we averaged 122 inches of snow/year. I'll pass on Milwaukee and stay here
I wasn’t suggesting you move out of The Villages anywhere in my discourse. I agree, if you lived in the middle of podunk NY with no services or features to employ/enjoy and the taxes were outrageous, you should have left sooner rather than later. But Len was comparing Milwaukee taxes to The Villages. One has to question why you would live in such a God- forsaken area for so long. Now if you lived close to New York City, we’d be talking no comparison at all to The Villages. That is one beautiful city.