View Single Post

Old 12-22-2019, 04:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Migrating to Windows 10

Previous posts have addressed this, but I thought I'd start a new thread to relate my own experience.

I have been an ardent fan of XP but had made the move to Vista without too much trouble. On one computer I was even running 7 but when I did the free upgrade to 10 I couldn't find anything so rolled back to 7. Now that support for 7 is being dropped by Microsoft it means it won't be long before third party programs such as browsers will cease to do so too, as they have done for Vista, so it seems a good time to bite the bullet and try to become comfortable with Windows 10.

Installing the new operating system is straightforward (if you think you've paid Microsoft enough over the years you can find it on eBay, along with licence numbers). Download the free program OpenShell and you can get back the look and feel of 7 or Vista.

I ditched the inadequate mail program - Mail - that comes with 10 and downloaded Windows Mail Live. This is very similar to Windows Mail that I was using, and makes the importing of your old e-mails a breeze.

I also decided it was time to move from an old version of Office so I downloaded the free program OpenOffice which is very similar to Excel and Word, with no problems opening their files (although if you've done some really clever stuff in your spreadsheet...)

So it took all weekend but I now have everything up and running and looking much like the Vista and 7 I am used to.