Thread: Flu ???
View Single Post

Old 12-24-2019, 06:42 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,477 Times in 548 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Well, I AM a doctor and IMHO your post is VERY bad advice.

Influenza is no joke especially among seniors. It is still the 8th leading cause of death and the only infectious disease still in the top 10 (In 1915, all the top 10 were infectious diseases). In 2017 it accounted for 55,672 deaths and you can bet the vast majority of victims were under 2 or over 70 years old.

Also, there is treatment available if you are seen within 48-72 hours after the onset of symptoms , oseltamivir(Tamiflu). You can't prescribe this for yourself.

So, best advice----get your flu shot, you won't get anything worse than a sore arm from inactivated vaccine. If you get flu like symptoms, or if it is present in other household members, see your doctor. He can do a rapid influenza A test from a swab and get you started on treatment. DON'T BE ONE OF THE 55,672!
I have bad asthma and get my flu shot every year. I resent people who do not get a flu shot for *other than* medically valid reasons. If I get the flu regardless, I’m pretty sure I’ll end up in the hospital.