Thread: new computer
View Single Post

Old 12-26-2019, 12:11 AM

Here is my opinion, I’ve also worked in the industry for 35 years. I would spend anywhere between $500,000.00 - 1.5M per year on computers, tablets and servers. We’ve tried everything, HP, IBM or Lenovo now and DELL to name a few. The least amount of issues and best support received = DELL by far. If you want a good laptop that will last you 5-10 years, look at the Lattitude line of laptops and get the largest CPU you can afford and load that baby with as much RAM as you can put in it. (I have 32GB in my personal Dell laptop). Now someone touched on something very important to consider, if you are simply looking at a device to answer emails, browse the internet and social media sites like Facebook and Twitter, etc... the best solution could be a tablet. My wife and I LOVE our Apple iPads, very portable, quick and great for those types of things I just mentioned above. I’m actually replying to this on my iPad now. We have a full keyboard on ours and use it instead of the soft keyboard, much better if you are a typist. My wife who was an Executive Assistant used her laptop everyday at work while it was sitting in a docking station with a full external keyboard and mouse. Since she has retired, she rarely uses my PC and loves her iPad. You can get MS Word, Excel on the iPad but these APPS do not have all the same features as a PC version but it’s pretty close and would be quite fine for most users. Evaluate what your wife uses the laptop for now and see if an iPad would be a better fit for her usage. Maybe a new laptop is not at all what she needs depending on what she does with her present system. If you have children and grandchildren living away, using FaceTime (like Skype) on an iPad is easy and very common amongst younger users. Check with your family and kids and if they have iPhones or iPads that might make the decision that much easier. Good luck.