View Single Post

Old 12-28-2019, 11:28 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,226 Times in 756 Posts
Default Scam Me If You Can

I just ordered a book Scam Me If You Can by Frank Abagnale.

The 2002 movie Catch Me If You Can is about Abagnale’s life as a con man, an imposter. (I have no idea if Abagnale looks anything like Leonardo DiCaprio, but I am certain he knows his way around scams.)

I have known of highly intelligent people who have been taken in by scams. I have done a little research on how this can possibly happen. That is how I learned about the amygdala. I had never heard of the amygdala before — sounded to me like a name millennials might give their baby. (Please don’t take that last part literally. I like millennials and get along just fine with the ones I know. I guess that makes me an OK Boomer - no comma.)

I digress — so anyway, the amygdala is the part of the brain that perceives emotions, like fear, anger, sadness. Tapping into those emotions can be a highly effective tool for scammers. I don’t know if Abagnale talks about the amygdala or not because the book has not arrived yet. But tapping into emotion is definitely the way the game is played and scammers are masters at doing just that, if given the chance. While reading various sources on the psychology of scams, I learned that sometimes those with an arrogant, know-it-all personality trait can be good targets for cons.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know this book is available. Looking at the reviews on Amazon can give you a little preview.

Meanwhile, don’t let your amygdala be compromised.

Last edited by Boomer; 12-28-2019 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Typo