View Single Post

Old 12-28-2019, 07:24 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan9871 View Post
Alex Honnold, the free climber in "Free Solo" has an amygdala that apparently has no response to fearful situations whatsoever.

Legendary Rock Climber Alex Honnold Gets Put Into an MRI, and the Results Are Surprising

Thanks. That is an interesting article.

The longtime debating of Nature/Nurture certainly weighs extra heavily on the side of Nature with this guy. The science showed that clearly.

I guess each of us has built-in wiring that seems to fall into different categories, sort of on a spectrum of some kind. Nurture, of course, is a factor but Nature seems to be hard-wired in the brain.

Regarding the amygdala, I have watched some salespeople in action and sometimes have observed the “creating a sense of urgency” routine. I think that can tap into the amygdala, too.

My book should arrive in a few days. I am curious to see if the author gets into the neuroscience of scamming.

For now, I think Mr. Boomer and I are going to see if we can find the movie Catch Me If You Can to revisit the story of Abagnale’s younger days — before he turned his — er, talents to helping people learn how to watch out for people like him.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-08-2020 at 07:02 AM.