View Single Post

Old 12-28-2019, 07:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Wow! Fresh Market, Lighthouse Seafood, and swordfish.

Our visiting son loves fish. I'm a scaredy cat cooking fish, unless it's baking salmon. I went to Fresh Market today, looking for Chilean sea bass. They had none, but they had swordfish steaks. "I'll take the swordfish," I said. The guy behind the counter said, "You don't want that." What do I know, so I didn't buy.

Then I went to Lighthouse; their swordfish looked fabulous. I could tell the difference from Fresh Market just by looking. I asked them how to cook it. I'm thinking grilled, but the lady said, "Keep it simple, salt & pepper, very lightly dust with flour, pan sear in olive oil and add a knob of butter at the end to baste." I have a 12-inch cast-iron frying pan, so that's what I did. It was a good inch thick (1.37 lb piece). I used salt & pepper and dusted very lightly with Wondra flour. I heated the oil on medium, cooked the fish 6 minutes on one side, turned, added a tbs of butter, 4 minutes on the other side & basted with the butter/olive oil mixture. At $16+/pound, I was a bit nervous, so I cut into it after six minutes when I turned it & cut a minute off the cooking time for second side. (I've heard 11 minutes per inch for fish.) It was sooooooo good.

Our son said it was much better than what he makes at home, but he buys frozen from Kroger. I really think the quality of the fish was so good and the cooking method so simple that I could only mess it up by overcooking. Kudos to Fresh Market's honesty and Lighthouse's quality.

Last edited by CFrance; 12-28-2019 at 08:08 PM.