View Single Post

Old 12-29-2019, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyp View Post
I don't think the rates have skyrocketed but I have not looked in a while. Go on the ACA website and you can do a trial run. Play with income levels - a little difference makes a large difference in subsidy levels. By the way Biker is correct somewhere around $60K you become eligible. You are projecting your income forward for the calendar year you are getting insurance for. The danger is if through the year you miss and have higher income you owe the subsidy back.

No insurance is the choice you have made. How are you going to get around the fact that most doctors will not take cash only. My guess is they are not equipped to handle cash with their office staff and billing software. And unless collected at time of service have a good chance of getting stiffed. Now they have both large malpractice insurance plus attorney fees / collection agency fees. Most docs want to be just that docs. Billing is a headache. That is why many docs limit the kind of insurance they will accept. It is a huge burden to their staff coding, getting approvals, etc from the policies plus add on the out of state and government policies = nightmare. Either looks like your going to have to get on the phone and randomly call docs here and see if you can strike a deal or stay wherever it is you live now. If the docs office says they are not willing to accept cash ask them why they accept payment from co pays immediately prior to service. Tell them you are willing in essence to do the same thing accept give you the entire bill.
The free clinic said they would refill my meds one time until I get settled, so that helps. I told them I'm happy to pay for the visit. Plus some other options people mentioned on here sound hopeful. I think it will work out. Yeah, I dont see how doctors do it with all the overhead, crazy. It seems self pay clients would be the way to go but whadda I know. I had read about a Canadian doctor that moved to the US, set up practice hoping to make more money. She was here 5 years and, yes, made more money but went back to Canada as the extra money wasnt worth the headache. I've also read that if universal health care went into effect, with all the billers that would be laid off, our GDP would drop 30% and really increase unemployment. What a mess whoever created health insurance has made!!! We are dependent now.