View Single Post

Old 12-29-2019, 03:12 PM
Sage
Location: village of Fenney, Ford City, Pa., and Hudson, Ohio
Thanked 4,336 Times in 1,445 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Always appreciate the comment even though I know that those that didn't serve felt differently, and may participated, in the protests in some form. I believe that attitudes can change and maybe reflection has changed their perspective. When I hear it from the Millennial's, Gen Z's and even Gen Alpha's I feel their sincerity since their attitudes didn't need to be changed and hopefully had parents that appreciates the military. If I see active military in restaurants I will usually pick up their tabs as a thank you for their service. A comment that may cause some controversy but I believe there should be mandatory service in our Country, not always military, but something to serve the Country and appreciate the opportunities that are here.....JMO
Not everyone felt differently. There were those such as myself that wanted to serve but for many different reasons could not. I talked my dad into signing for me when I graduated as I was still only 17 at the time. The recruiter drove 6 of us down to Pittsburg for our physicals, and two of us were not accepted, I was classified 1Y for a heart murmur. It was a sad quiet ride home for the two of us as we were all prepared to leave that day in 1964 and it still bothers me today, a feeling that I wasn't good enough and that I missed a part of life that was common to all of us at that time. The other 4 all made it back safely but I had several friends that did not come home. Even though I respect freedom of speech, I disliked protests back then and still do today. And yes, I thank you all for your service.