View Single Post

Old 12-30-2019, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougjb View Post
Microsoft throughout its history has been a company of over-promise and under-deliver. I too suffered huge problems when the machine decided that its need to upgrade trumped my need to get work done. So, I resorted to restore points. Well, I have found restore points only work when you really do not need them. As with most Microsoft products, they are laden with add-ons which sound good in theory but rarely work in practice. So, after the update resulted in my machine becoming useless, I contacted Microsoft service. The customer service people there (as with most other large monopolies) apologized profusely but were otherwise unable to assist. Indeed, what they suggested was that I completely wipe my machine clean and reinstall Windows 10. When I asked about what would happen to my other proprietary software (or if they would compensate me for its loss), they suddenly became mum. By the way, for those of you who have used Microsoft product in the 80's (remember MS-DOS), the customer service people had the same advice: Wipe your machine clean, reinstall the operating system and the hell with your other software. While Microsoft has undoubtedly contributed to huge office efficiencies, I will always, did I say ALWAYS support the effort to break up these huge uncaring monopolies which simply don't care about the consumer.
These are some of the reasons I switched to Linux (Mint). Linux is NOT a company, it's community of people that believe in open software. Open software means that YOU own it, you can and have the right to see the source code and change it to what you want it to do. Linux does NOT track you, record where you go or what you do. It is VERY VERY VERY virus resistant, which means you do not need antivirus software. You also do not need all those programs Windows "experts" claim you need for Windows. There are thousands of programs available in Linux that can replace Windows programs (BUT, they do require a learning curve).

If you Google Linux Mint or go to YouTube and look up Joe Collins, or Chris Titus or any of the many Linux advocates, you will people that worked with Windows most of their careers, but found Linux and love it.