View Single Post

Old 01-02-2020, 03:06 PM

In 2016 I ordered DirecTV in WI. Fortunately, I checked my first bill and found they had added the Protection Plan though I never asked for it. They tried to talk me in to it but eventually did remove it.

I ordered DirecTV in TVs about 15 months ago. I have direct shared billing through Century Link (save $10/mo). Unfortunately, I did not keep track of my bill (admittedly my fault) until just a few days ago. I found they had again done the same thing, added the Protection Plan without my permission. I called and argued with them for an hour as they kept saying they couldn't do anything for me but cancel now as I had not let them know after I got my first bill. After I insisted, and insisted, I wanted to talk to a supervisor (they never did let me do that) they FINALLY relented and gave me a credit for 3 months billing. While this doesn't make me whole I'm a snow bird so I've ONLY been stuck with this charge for 8 or 9 months, not the 15 months since I signed up.

There are some positives with DirecTV (for example, there currently is no charge when you put the service on vacation hold) but the Protection Plan is clearly a scam since they don't ask or tell you about it when you sign up. It is obvious this is something they do every chance they get. They are counting on people not paying attention to their bills (as I didn't). I should have been more careful given that they pulled this on me the first time I signed up with them. I'm not saying you shouldn't use them, or that you shouldn't use the Protection Plan, but be careful and CHECK YOUR BILLS REGULARLY to make sure you are only paying for what you want!