Thread: Noise pollution
View Single Post

Old 01-05-2020, 10:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,513 Times in 3,106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Graikowski View Post
We have chimes and we love them. When the wind is gently blowing, we hear an occasional soft chime, it is very relaxing. However, we realize that when the wind is blowing hard, the constant clang is very annoying, and we take them down. I also think it's important to purchase good chimes so that the sound is soothing and not irritating.
It's not relaxing to me. It's like chinese water torture. If I'm trying to concentrate on something, then all of a sudden a gentle breeze wafts through the area, I'm immediately distracted by the chimes and have to wait for the breeze to finish before I can return to what I was doing.

When it's a breezy (not gusting) day all day, it's difficult for me to focus on ANYTHING, with those chimes constantly pinging all day long.

If it isn't a sound that is common to the natural surroundings, it distracts me. So a woodpecker might distract me at first til I realize it's a woodpecker and he's sitting outside my window boring a hole into the hickory tree. Cicadas are no problem at all, neither are crickets - unless there's one in my house. Then it's a distraction - because it doesn't belong there.

Same with motorcycles and diesel engines. It's also why thunderstorms don't upset me, but people hammering stuff 3 doors down does.