View Single Post

Old 01-11-2020, 01:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,715 Times in 5,244 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealady View Post
Thanks for your input. We are in the process of getting quotes from concrete contractors for mudjacking or using the foam type process. Getting a landscaper in for a quote for adding stone/soil is also a good idea is another route we could take. If adding the stone/oil, we could probably do ourselves.

Thanks again!
I had a house in Virginia where I had a specialty contractor drill dime sized holes in the front sidewalk and inject foam under the slab to raise one end about 2 inches. It cost several hundred dollars, which was cheaper than replacing the sidewalk. It did not require very much foam. But, if you have an 8 X 8 foot section of slab that has voids, it will take a lot of foam, and I think the foam itself is more expensive than concrete. Also, my raised sidewalk was only guaranteed for one year, and it did sink down after about 18 months and had to be redone. With a new house in The Villages, the soil is mostly sand, which is not as stable as most foundation situations. So, don't be surprised if the foam doesn't last very long. If you can't get a landscaper to use dirt and gravel to support the slab, I would get a quote to remove and replace the slab with the proper soil preparation, even if it is more expensive than foam or mudjacking. I really don't think foam and mudjacking are intended to be a permanent solution, and I don't think you can ever be certain that the foam is actually supporting the slab or just partially filling the void. My opinion. Good luck.