Thread: Why no Flags
View Single Post

Old 01-11-2020, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe V. View Post
What stores give veteran's discounts for merely wearing a hat? I am always asked for my retired military ID to confirm if I am eligible.
I don't know if any stores actually give them without checking an ID first. But you'd be surprised at how many "veterans" try, and point to their hats as "proof" when they ask for the discount.

That isn't specific to the Villages. Up north we had a few guys come in with "Veterans" hats who would ask for a discount - when we asked for their ID they'd say no one ever makes them show an ID, and they don't carry it around with them. We used to get a lot of women who would insist that they are military wives so I should give THEM a discount - when I pointed out that we needed their ID showing they were married to someone in active duty, they would never be able to produce them.

So yes there are people who consider it acceptable to pretend to be a veteran, to get a discount. Whether they actually ever get that discount is up to the gullibility and/or generosity of the cashier.