Thread: Why no Flags
View Single Post

Old 01-11-2020, 04:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I think a lot of people either don't know about the illumination rule, or don't care about it, in the Villages. Some homeowners have flags flying 24/7 without lights at night. I've seen a few flags tattered and in bad condition.

When we bought our house, it came with a pretty ragged and dirty flag attached to an extension arm on the house itself. We got rid of the flag and the extension arm entirely. Burned the flag, which is the actual law - which I noticed a lot of people in the Villages also don't obey. After Memorial Day I saw a bunch of those little lawn flags in the trash on trash day.

As a side note, burning is not the only way to properly dispose of an old flag.

You can also bury it.

Proper U.S. Flag Disposal Methods (click here)

Quote:

1. Flag Burning

According to the Veterans of Foreign Wars, the first thing you should do is properly fold your flag. If you’re not sure how to fold a flag, you can get step by step directions here. Once you’ve properly folded your flag, make a fire that’s big enough to ensure that your flag will completely burn. When your fire is ready, respectfully place your folded flag on top of it. If you want, you can have a moment of silence or say the Pledge of Allegiance. After the flag has completely burned, the fire needs to be safely and completely extinguished. Collect the ashes and then bury them.

2. Flag Burial

According to American Disposal Services, the proper way to bury your flag is to first fold it and then place it in a dignified box. You can then bury the flag, saying a few words if you wish.

3. Flag Donation

If you're leery that you might not burn or bury your flag properly, you can donate your flag to your local American Legion, Veterans of Foreign Wars, the Boy Scouts, or the Girl Scouts. Each of these government organizations will conduct a ceremony to properly dispose of the flag and they'll do it for no charge.