View Single Post

Old 01-11-2020, 08:14 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintageogauge View Post
Can anyone here who has added on to their home in recent years give me a totally ball park figure on adding a 15 x 20 bedroom with walk in closet and bath to an existing stucco house. I realize there are tons of questions to be answered before I could get a near figure but just a general idea per sq. ft. would help me at this point. Thanks for your help.
Not sure if this will be helpful at all, but FWIW:

Our previous home (a Lantana in Calumet Grove) was built in 2003. In 2005 the owners turned a 12' x 12' patio next to the breakfast area into a room plus added a second master suite (a 4th bedroom) with a large bathroom and its own HVAC system on that side of the house. The permit they pulled stated that construction would cost $60,000.

My only suggestion is to consider how such an addition would affect the value of your home vis a vis the other homes in the neighborhood. It is always best, as they say, to have the least expensive home in a neighborhood (because those other homes will increase the value of your property) as opposed to having the most expensive home on the street (which can hurt resale).

Good luck with your potential purchase.

kathy