View Single Post

Old 01-12-2020, 07:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,707 Times in 5,240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rsenholzi View Post
A word of advice- check with them first before you do anything at all. People that age have set ideas and may not want you imposing yours on them. After my mom broke her hip we rented a place here and she refused to come. Her friends and support system were up north and that’s where she wanted to stay! However, if you choose to bring them down , there is a wonderful place in Leesburg near the hospital . We checked out all the others in the area and found this one to be the best. It is like a college campus , with a boat to take them across Lake Harris for lunch’s. There is a bus to take them to stores, churches etc every day. The dining room is like a cruise ship and there is an indoor pool/hot tub on site. In addition, there is a bank, hair dresser, ice cream parlor on site. A dr comes in once a week as well as PT onsite. You buy into independent living with the option of getting back 50% for the heirs ( negotiable prices) . They have different size apts. the person can work their way through independent , assisted and nursing home onsite . They were building an Alzheimer’s unit while we were checking it out . Not sure if it is finished yet. The place is reasonable and is called Lake Port . Short distance from the Villages - gives you space yet is close enough to visit every day if you wanted to
FYI, Lake Port Square is a Brookdale facility, which is the same company that owns and operates Freedom Pointe in The Villages. I think that all Brookdale facilities are very nice, but they tend to be more expensive than other senior care facilities. With Brookdale, you need to pay a large sum to buy in to the facility. Some of this money is used by Brookdale to fund an insurance policy that is similar to long term care insurance. So, you are guaranteed to be cared for forever. Several other local facilities are operated as a pay as you go system where you just pay a monthly rent. But, if you run out of money, you may need to move out. You really need to visit the available facilities to see what works for you. I think Freedom Pointe is very nice, but I don't like the buy in system because I have never liked buying insurance. Note that, when you move into a place like Freedom Pointe, it is a major commitment, and you will probably never leave because of the buy in.