View Single Post

Old 01-12-2020, 10:23 AM

Have owned over 25 cars in my lifetime that included many sports cars from a Fiat 850 and Sunbeam Alpine to a Jaguar XKE and 2 Vettes (84 & 96) but the best, most fun to drive and super comfortable was my 2007 MB SL550 and my current 2015 MB SL400. The only reason I traded in the 07 for the 15 was to get a “blind spot monitor” which has proved to be a lifesaver on more than one occasion. The blend of handling, acceleration and pure luxury in a SL is hard to beat. Have to buy smart and get a low mileage used one however as the sticker prices are insane. I have found the sweet spot is 3 years old with under 50K miles and a few months left on the 4 year warranty. I bought a three year old “certified” 2007 from a MB dealer and paid top dollar, bought an extended warranty (which I never had to use) and put 20k on it with no problems.

Bought my 2015 which was also three yrs old with almost 1 year warranty left from a local reputable used car dealer with a “no hassle” pricing policy rather than a dealership and saved a ton. Thus far the 15 has had a leak in the hydraulic top that was covered by warranty but no other problems. Have driven it twice down to Miami in the last two years and was amazed at the seat comfort for a 10 hour drive. My SL’s have been the absolute best cars I have ever had the pleasure of driving this side of a Ferrari!

Oh yeah, there are a few downsides to owning a SL like when periodically replacing the windshield wipers or cabin air filter ... they are both around $200+. LOL

2015 Mercedes-Benz SL400 Test – Review – Car and Driver