View Single Post

Old 01-12-2020, 06:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Hi Madelaine Amee,

I just want to tell you that I completely agree with your perspective on seeing the “thank you” as an “I agree with you.”

When I like a post, I try to take the time to tell the poster that I do — and why. Of course, I can’t do that every time I see a post I like. I have never resorted to the “Thanks” button. (But that’s just me.)

— Even so, I know that posters are mostly sincere when they use the “Thanks” on here to communicate. But I might be the only person in the world not on Facebook so I am not into the positions of thumbs.

Interestingly, it does not take long to notice a rather insidious pattern that can emerge from within such succinct communication as the “Thanks” button.

It does not qualify as “click bait” but there are times when it appears to be nothing more than “clique bait” — as in bait ‘em in to take a side. For some, division is far more important than discussion.

It’s all theater — complete with character motivation.
Ditto for me, on almost everything you said...except being on Facebook.

I do however, restrict my Facebook friend list to relatives (the ones who aren't cray-cray)...and some very old friends.

I was particularly impressed with your very astute observation...regarding “clique bait.”

A person could make money betting, on who will show up like clockwork, in the 'thanks' box in certain debates/discussions... involving certain members.

I also prefer to take the time to acknowledge in writing when I agree with someone, so don't be specting' me...to "like" your post.

If they ever come up with a 'dislike' button however, well.......