View Single Post

Old 01-14-2020, 07:44 AM
Sage

Here is our math:

CenturyLink internet only: $45
YouTubeTV: $50

Total: $95

YouTubeTV has the local affiliates and DVR in the cloud.

You need approximately 5 megabits per second of internet bandwidth per stream for 1080p hi-def.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
If you look at the bill, the specific rate increase was for the local channels. This means that the local channels raised their rates to Comcast, and this was passed along.

I get the 220+ channel pack and 200MB internet for $131 a month. I have tried "cutting the cable" (and I am an IT guy, so I understand how all this works), but it you really want to get local channels, have a DVR, etc, the cost ends up being higher than what I get through Comcast.

If you're willing to go without a lot of what you have now, then yes, you can reduce your bill.

With regards to DirecTV or Dish... I had one or the other for 20 years, then moved to Florida. Rain outs are extremely bad down here - loss of signal for multiple hours and multiple days. I finally dropped it.

I'm just saying do the math - include costs for internet (you'll need faster internet for multiple streaming sets), local channels, and whatever streaming services you get when you cut the cord. You'll be surprised how much all that really costs.