View Single Post

Old 01-14-2020, 09:09 AM
Sage

We had 10 megabit per second internet for about 2 years and never had any issues with 2 hi-def streams. Some services, such as Netflix, are adaptive and will adjust the resolution if necessary to prevent buffering delays if you have a poor internet provider. If you want to stream 4k content then about 20 megabits per second is required per stream. While it can be nice to have some webpages with numerous graphics load a bit quicker, most people are paying for more bandwidth than they need. I can't speak of the quality of Comcast and Spectrum internet, but CenturyLink via fiber to the house is reliable and the performance is consistent.

Regarding features, YoutubeTV is essentially the same as traditional "cable". There is a programming guide and DVR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
We tried this - but going from 200+ channels on DirecTV or Comcast to 70 on YouTube left out several channels that either me or my wife really wanted. The cost to get another service that offered these channels added yet another $30 to the cost.

In addition, you now have to juggle which service to start for the channel you want to watch - I'm OK with that, but my wife isn't.

If you plan on only getting 5mbps per stream, you need to plan on seeing your shows stutter and freeze at times. I know folks that try to save money by getting the 12mbps service and their screens have constant issues with one stream.

However, 50mbps should be enough for most purposes.

There is nothing wrong with cutting the cord - just realize that you do give up some features/channels/selections to save that money. As long as those options mean nothing to you, that is great!

Last edited by biker1; 01-14-2020 at 09:17 AM.