View Single Post

Old 01-15-2020, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,496 Times in 3,100 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
It's probably not a joke and it's what my original question was all about. But on second thought, maybe there is no truth to it as I'm hearing that there is quite a bit of variety after all.
It's a little of both really. Mustang Sally is a good example. First of all - the line dancers do the Electric Slide to it, which makes me want to cartwheel my overweight self into the bunch of them as if they were bowling pins and I was the ball. It's an insult to the song and an insult to the dance.

Second, there's an R&B band that turns the song into this awesome bluesy sultry thing and I absolutely love their arrangement. I don't remember which band it is though.

Third, pretty much EVERY band that plays, includes this one in their nightly repertoire. Why? Because everyone loves it. It is danceable, singable, foot-tappable, and tolerable when you're walking from one end of the square to the other in search of the decent ice cream cone (Kilwin's in Spanish Springs, otherwise just suck it up and take the 20-minute drive to Cold Stone Creamery in Ocala).

Fourth - for every 20 old folks who decide they're too old to hang out at the squares, or stop going because they've "been there done that got the tee shirt" and are just totally over the experience, there are 20 old folks who just moved in, and want to hear Mustang Sally.

I'm okay with the song, but just once I'd like to see a band that normally plays it, decide not to play it.