View Single Post

Old 01-19-2020, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrvalley View Post
Go with the biggest heat pump you can get. I have a 140K heat pump on a 7,000 gallon pool. I use a solar cover at night to prevent heat loss. We keep the pool at 88 this time of year. It takes about 1 1/2 - 2 hours to heat to 88 each morning. The heater adds about $30 to our monthly electric bill.

Gas is far more expensive than a heat pump - especially if you have to use propane. A heat pump like mine runs around $3,100 (uninstalled), while a 400K gas heater will run around $2,400 (unless you need put in a propane tank - then you need to add that cost). You'll make up the difference in price the first year.

Our pool builder used all Hayward. If I were buying my own heat pump, I would look at the AquaCal line. It is more efficient and quieter in operation than the Hayward. Hayward and Pentair, for heat pumps, are very similar in specs.

If you go to troublefreepool online you'll find more info about pools than you ever imagined!

Hope this helps!
Thank you Irvalley for the info. My solar system keeps the pool between 70-75 degrees this time of year so I'll only need to boost it by 10 degrees or so. Any installers you can recommend?