Thread: H & R Block
View Single Post

Old 01-20-2020, 06:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,739 Times in 5,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachKandSportsguy View Post
Buy a small / medium size solid state thumb drive, and save a PDF copy of the tax returns, all details to the thumb drive, including a copy of the file which holds all the information, and save the thumb drive in a rather hidden place in the house. Then erase the data files from the computer, not the software program. When the current year asks for the prior year file, just plug in the thumb drive and point to that file.

Also, install the free software CCleaner, and once installed, clean your registry, and then after deleting the tax files, wipe the free space 3x by CCleaner, and you should be immune from drive by hacking to download the file without your knowledge. Keep financial files the same way.

sportsguy who has been hacked but they never got anything.
I agree. But, just to clarify, the PDF file created by the tax software can only be used for printing out the completed tax return. If you want to amend the tax return, you also need the special file created by the software. For H&R Block, it is a ".T19" file and for Turbo tax it is a ".TAX2019" file. These files are needed to load the return into the 2019 tax software program. A thumb drive is good, but I also save these files onto my Google Drive in the cloud, and keep the tax software program loaded on my computer. And, I always buy the CD disc version of the tax software and keep the disc.