Thread: H & R Block
View Single Post

Old 01-20-2020, 04:21 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,906 Times in 917 Posts
Default The best solution for Tax return filings.

IMHO, the best solution is to switch to TurboTax in the cloud, with two way authentication. That way, the files will always exist for reference, with the proper account information, and you don't have to maintain any data on your laptop/ tower / home computer. Now, that is only for the standard 1040 tax returns. CoachK and I have our returns in the cloud. I do estate 1041 returns, and that software is not in the cloud, and must be downloaded on the laptop. HRB does not have their estate tax available as far as I know. (They get big bucks for those returns! $500-1,000 per return)

Any account with just a user name and password can be hacked with many common drive by web link or phishing email link, some without opening the email. Two way authentication is when the software server will send you a text message with a pass code to put into the web site to continue. I have acquaintences who have had their phone messages light up with hacking attempts.

Either way, importantly, be sure that your co-trustee and successor trustees have this information to be able to file your taxes properly in the case you are incapacitated, or worse. If not, you are just creating a filing nightmare for your family and relatives, a first world technology problem.

sportsguy