View Single Post

Old 01-26-2020, 10:17 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I too wondered how you can just zip over to Israel and have an implant, since the process can take up to a year.

However, I have had two implants and am in the process of having two more, with all the lead-ups--tooth extraction, bone graft, sinus lift surgery, temporary. I have never had any pain, nor any of the other problems you describe.

But I wouldn't go to Israel for an implant. Too expensive and can't be done in one shot.
He was asking about implant dentures, not just implants. In order to get implant dentures, ALL his teeth need to be extracted. Every single one of them. That will make him SORE - for at least a few weeks. They fit the temporary dentures over the sutured gums, and he has to take them out, rinse with salt water, and put them right back in and leave them in EXCEPT when he's rinsing - all day, all night, for several days in a row. If he doesn't, then the healing process will change the configuration of the inside of his mouth, and the permanent dentures won't fit when they come in.

It is a HUGE undertaking, it is not the same thing as just getting an implant or two.

The weeks of pain are also because he has to eat with them in his mouth - biting down on what amounts to basically raw, wounded gums covered in acrylic. He will be eating soft foods for a couple of months, nothing crunchy at all and nothing even chewy for the first week or two. Pureed foods, liquids, jello, protein shakes but no dairy because of the antibiotics - it is not a fun time in Israel if you think medical tourism is a good way to get cheap implant dentures. It's not a fun time ANYWHERE getting them. Once you're healed, they're amazing. But the process is grueling.

Last edited by OrangeBlossomBaby; 01-26-2020 at 10:29 PM.