View Single Post

Old 01-26-2020, 10:49 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
if you have all the teeth removed, you -must- keep the temps in as much as possible. Your jaw can shift - same reason why some people who get braces have to wear retainers long-term. If they don't, the teeth will try to revert back to their previous position. The reason for that is the shape of their jaw. Without teeth, there is nothing preventing the bone under the gumline from shifting. It can take a few months for the gums AND bone to heal before they're ready for implants. Implants are not typically put in the same time that the teeth are extracted. You do the extraction and bone grafting if necessary. You wait for all THAT to heal. Then you do the implants. You wait for THAT to heal. Then you make the permanent denture.

This process can take 6 months or longer, during which time the bone under the gumline no longer has the teeth to force it into any particular shape or position.

The bone will inevitably shift, possibly just a tiny minute amount. And that tiny minute amount is enough to make the finished denture totally unuseable.

That is why you have to wear the temporary dentures 24/7 except when rinsing, for the first few weeks - and after that, as much of the day as possible.

A member of my immediate family had it done. I lived with the situation for over a year.
I give.

But in any event, I don't see how you would save any money going to Israel since it's not a one-and-done.