Thread: Metal Roof
View Single Post

Old 01-30-2020, 08:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,523 Times in 3,109 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Original Poster here, this is what I have learned after discussions with an Architectural Review Committee representative. Metal roofs on residential homes are few and far between in the Villages. The deed restrictions are very vague in all districts regarding metal roofs. In general, one does not need ARC approval to replace asphalt with asphalt, but one does need approval to replace asphalt with metal. One can not get an answer as simple as, yes, you can replace your roof with a metal roof. Each application is reviewed on an individual basis and some are approved and others are denied (a best guess is that about only half are accepted). Factors that will be considered and should be put into the application include the new roof being in line with the character with the existing neighborhood. That includes both the color and design of the metal roof. Roofs with a faux shingle look that are the same or similar color as surrounding roofs will have a much better chance than an off color roof with vertical seems. I was also told that a home in an older district, where the homes are already less homogeneous, would probably have a better chance of a metal roof not being considered out of character with the existing neighborhood. Also, anything included in the application that demonstrates that a metal roof would increase the homes energy efficiency would go a long way toward approval. This makes it very difficult for both homeowners, as well as roofing contractors, since it takes lots of research and time getting bids on roof replacement before the homeowner can make an educated decision and an application can be submitted, all without knowing if it will ultimately be approved.

I also contacted T&D to see if the solar blankets on the existing roof, for heating our pool, could be transferred to a metal roof. They told me they did not put solar on metal roofs. I suspect that if enough people had metal roofs they would do it, but they are so rare it is not worth their effort to learn this process and train their installers for something they will seldom do.

So it looks like I am going to cross out the idea of replacing our asphalt roof with metal. This kind of leaves a bad taste in my mouth considering many of the non-residential buildings in the Villages, such as postal stations, Rec. Centers, and buildings rented for commercial use already have metal roofs. The developers are not stupid, they know that metal roofs are a more cost effective investment in the long run, but they don't put them on homes since it would increase the price of new homes and or cut into their profit margins. I don't blame them for putting asphalt on new homes, but if existing homeowners want to replace their roof with a better but more expensive roof, they should be able to. I certainly understand that it would not be right to allow homeowners to put on a bright orange or pink metal roof, but an acceptable color and design should be spelled out in the deed restrictions. Oh Well, Live and Learn I guess?
There are homes in the Historic section with metal roofs and solar panels. So maybe that one company doesn't do it, but it is absolutely do-able.

Remember, the Villages started out as a trailer park. ALL the homes in the Villages originally had metal roofs, because they were all single and double-wide trailers. Some of them still exist, and most of the rest of them were replaced with manufactured homes and modular homes - all of which came with metal roofs.