View Single Post

Old 01-31-2020, 03:43 PM
Lightbulb About flags

What IS a flag, anyway? It is a piece of material (if on a pole) that can show any number of "feelings" the flyer has. Mostly, flags are used to identify pride in someone (Che Guevara, for example), or in something (Manchester United soccer).
From what I know, there are certain "types" of flags, such as team flags, corporate flags, school flags, culture flags, state/country flags, pirate flags, ideology flags and the like. Flags are symbolic, decorative, advertising, preachy, and so on.

As far as this thread: The flyer of the flag in question "appears" to want others to know where their fealty/heart is. That's, I think, akin to those who put bumper stickers on their cars. Some are funny, others are obnoxious, some don't make sense, some are preachy, some give away size of family. Still, I think telling someone they should move back to where they came from (if, like Nucky, they are POd by some flag) that that person is NOT among like-minded folks, well, the intimation is that there is NO PLACE in TV for "contrary" people. I wouldn't tell someone they are not wanted if they believe x, y, or z about anything 'cause I don't feel it's my place (if it's ANYBODY'S place) to tell another person that. I'm not their parent, their local cop, their judge. (Also, I don't want to get punched in the nose.)

I suggest we leave flag waving alone.