View Single Post

Old 02-03-2020, 09:41 AM
Default Continuous hot water?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
I love our tankless on demand water heater. First, your not using energy trying to keep 40/50 gal of water hot 24/7. Second, you NEVER run out of hot water no matter how much you use.
Has any owner of a tankless system ever - through normal use or as an experiment - challenged the advertising tag line that a tankless system provides continuous hot water? I was at a big box home improvement store last weekend and one of their experienced sales staff said that most tankless systems are rated to provide 56 gallons in the first hour...and then the water quickly goes from cool to cold.

I'm confused how that could happen if the water is being heated continuously as it is used. I understand how there's a lag between initial demand and actually having hot water at the tap - it's no different from a tank system - you either have a recirculation pump or you don't. But how can a continuously running gas powered heater have only a 56 gallon capacity for the first hour? Interestingly, the small print at the display in the big box store said something similar.

The sales agent also said peak demand (simultaneous use of clothes washer, dishwasher and shower) can overtax the tankless system and not produce sufficient hot water to produce a comfortable shower.

Again, I'm...nonplussed. Does anyone have experience with this issue...one way or the other?

Thanks again! Rebel

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle

Last edited by Rebel Pirate; 02-03-2020 at 09:42 AM. Reason: misspelled a word...