View Single Post

Old 02-05-2020, 08:23 AM
Default "Efficiency" Related to Tank vs Tankless

Thanks to everyone who has provided feedback on my original question. I’ve read and re-read the entire thread and continued to do research online and at stores. Here’s where I am…at the moment…but could change my mind…again.

“Efficiency” comes up frequently when considering tank vs tankless water heaters and could be based on which is most convenience-efficient, cost-efficient, energy-efficient, or water-efficient. Each of these types of efficiency are impacted by (obviously) the specific water heater systems and whether we’re talking about (1) building a new home with the water heater location optimized for the house, (2) building a new home where the water heater location is determined by factors other than optimizing the system, or (3) whether we’re retrofitting an existing home.

In my case — and for most new homes — we’re talking about villages in the new sections of TV that are south and west of the turnpike: either (a) builder-spec homes or (b) homes customized by/for the prospective owner on a specific lot. Some Villagers may (c) retrofit their older home and convert from tank to tankless…but that’s a different situation and outside the scope of my consideration.

This has been an interesting discussion and research project. Depending on the specific application (location of tankless unit on house), the specific systems, and the time-frame for comparison (owning for 5 years vs owning for 20 years) one might conclude either is most “efficient” depending on the type of “efficiency” they find to be most compelling.

Most of us are (at least I am) more concerned with convenience/cost-efficiency than energy/water efficiency. And the most important cost consideration of all may be maximizing appeal to prospective buyers when (eventually) re-selling one’s home. In that regard I probably don’t want to stand out and be the only tank system in an area where every other home has a tankless heater, even if I have a personal preference for tank compared to tankless.

So, as of right now, I’m planning to choose one of the standard new home (tankless) options.

Thanks, again! Rebel

Wishing to be friends is quick work, but friendship is a slow ripening fruit. Aristotle